The Virtual Caterer
Cheesy Potato and Ham Casserole
1 Slice Dinner Ham, fat removed, cut into 1 inch pcs. (approx. 1 lb.) 4 Baking Potatoes Peeled, sliced thin 1 Med. Onion Peeled, sliced thin ½ cup Butter (1 stick) 3 Cups Milk ¼ Cup Flour 2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese 1 ½ tsp. Salt ½ Tsp. Pepper
- Place sliced potato and 1 tsp. salt in large pot. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil.
- Turn off heat under potatoes. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain.
- In fry pan, over med. low heat, melt butter.
- Saute onions in butter until tender.
- In large buttered casserole, layer potato, onion, ham. Repeat layers. (Note: remove onion from butter with slotted spoon, reserving butter in pan).
- Top layers with shredded cheese.
- Reheat butter in pan.
- Add flour to butter, stirring until smooth.
- Slowly, a little at a time, add milk to flour, stirring constantly until smooth and slightly thick.
- Add ½ tsp. salt and ½ tsp. pepper.
- Pour milk mixture over casserole.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Bake at 370° for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender and top is bubbly and slightly browned.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
© 1998 The Virtual Caterer